Become a pro-active first aider, and find out why we do things, not just what we do.
Our Outdoor First Aid courses are fun, interactive and build the techniques required to confidently and proactively deal with incidents in remote settings. Courses can be tailored for a variety of contexts and activities and include practical outdoor scenarios.
This course can benefit anyone who is experienced at first aid, and wants to take their knowledge and understanding to the next level.
- Forest School Practitioner
- Mountain Bikers Leaders and Coaches (BC, CTC)
- Mountain Leaders / Climbers and Instructors (MLA)
- Ski Instructors (BASI)
- Paddlesports coaches and instructors (BCU/SCA)
- Sailors (RYA)
- Forestry (+F requirements) and Ecologists
- Remote First Aid
- Wilderness First Aid
- Aquatic First Aid (BCU/SCA)
- Duke of Edinburgh Assessors and Supervisors
- Field Studies Tutors
- Expedition Leaders
It is assumed that you have recently passed, a suitable 2 Day Outdoor First Aid course (within the last 12 months) if you are joining the 3rd day of the Advanced Outdoor First Aid course.
Alternatively, we run these as a 3 day course if your current Outdoor First Aid qualification is out of date or was completed more than 12 months ago.
First Aid Training Co-operative exceed the HSE Employers' Due Diligence requirements for first aid training providers.
We have ISO9001 Certification and are also members of the Federation of First Aid Training Organisations.
You can rely on our quality assured systems for the correct accreditation of your course.
Course Content List
Standard Outdoor First Aid Course Content:
- Contents of a first aid kit
- Accident reporting
- Vital signs
- A systematic approach to managing first aid incidents - ABCDE
- Casualty Monitoring and casualty protection
- Airway Management
- Recovery Positions
- Breathing Problems - cardiac arrest CPR inc AED use, drowning/child CPR
- Heart attack, Angina, and other medical emergencies
- Choking (adult and child)
- Circulation Problems and treatment for shock
- Crush Injury and catastrophic blood loss if appropriate to the group
- Damage – treatment of injuries to the: chest, abdomen, pelvis, leg & arm, including remote improvised techniques
- Soft tissue injuries
- Head and spinal injuries, and helmet removal techniques and spinal management
- Environmental Considerations – hypothermia, hyperthermia and cold injuries
- Environmental Illness: Weil's disease, Lyme disease, Tick-borne Encephalitis, Animal bites and stings
- Awareness of current regulations
- Making emergency calls in different outdoor situations
- Outdoor Incident Scenarios
Advanced Outdoor First Aid Course Content:
- Record keeping and how to present yourself (perception of skill level)
- Casualty assessment / taking a history / physical examination
- Wound assessment,
- Burns and blisters
- Trauma - dealing with fractures (femur splinting) and dislocations in the field
- Wound cleaning practical
- Steri-strips & suturing
- Use of tourniquets
- Pain management
- Hydration / fluid replacement
- Prevention of illness
- Other specific content relevant to the group can be added at the time of booking.
We don’t currently have any public courses of this type scheduled. Please contact us to enquire about private course availability.
Can't find the right course for you?
We offer a wide range of courses across the UK. To see our full course listings, click here. Questions? Need something more bespoke or at your venue? Browse our private course listings below:
Enquire about booking a Private First Aid Course
We can run Private First Aid Courses at any suitable venue, for groups of up to 12 participants per trainer. Private courses can be tailored to almost any situation or context that your organisation or group requires.
Please complete the form linked below to let us know a bit about your requirements, and we'll be in touch as soon as we can. Alternatively, call the office and talk to one of us to discuss your situation and how we can help deliver the best course for you.
03334 330731 - Freecall from any mobile or landline
07585 723763 - Mobile