What is Mental Health First Aid?
‘Mental Health’ has become an important issue in our personal lives but also in the workplace. Every day we hear messages about stress and anxiety and the effect they are having on people’s lives.
Like physical first aid, this is a way to try and prevent mental health problems developing and support people in crisis and help them to receive the support they may need.
It is also about helping promote understanding of the importance of your mental health and mental health issues.
But what can employers do to help? In this 5 part email course created by our expert trainer, Paul MacFarlane, you’ll discover issues with mental health in the workplace, the benefits of solving them and learn how train Mental Health First Aiders.
Join the free email course:
Mental Health in the UK Workplace Facts
According to a October 2017 report from Deloitte, the facts about workplace mental health are shocking:
- Poor mental health costs UK employers £33bn–£42bn each year.
- 7.7% of all sickness absence is mental health related and is increasing each year
- For adults over the age of 16, roughly 1 in 6 people met the criteria for a common mental disorder in 2014
- The average ROI (return on investment) of workplace mental health interventions is 4.2:1, by reducing absence and increasing employee engagement.
What can employers do to help staff?
Every company will have a physical first aider but what about a mental health first aider?
The Health and Safety Executive says: “You should consider ways to manage mental ill health in your workplace which are appropriate for your business, such as providing information or training for managers and employees, employing occupational health professionals, appointing mental health trained first aiders and implementing employee support programmes.”
So why not have mental health first aiders in your workplace? Attending a Mental Health First Aid course will provide individuals with:
- The practical skills, knowledge and confidence to recognise the symptoms of mental health issues
- Effectively support anyone experiencing mental distress
- Provide information on how to guide those experiencing problems towards seeking appropriate professional help
Why should your company have a Mental Health First Aider?
Evidence shows that mental health issues have become very prevalent within the workplace with some feeling like they cannot talk about the subject, they won’t be supported, or they will be seen differently.
Mental health is a growing concern nationally. Mind, the leading mental health charity, say Mental ill health is the single largest cause of disability in the UK. This has an estimated cost to the economy at around £105 billion annually (Department of Health, England). This includes direct costs of services, lost productivity at work and reduced quality of life.
Over the next few days you will receive a series of 5 emails that highlight issues for the employer about mental health in the workplace and what they can do about it.
Join the free course
Ready to help your employees? In this 5 part email course created by our expert trainer, Paul MacFarlane, you’ll discover issues with mental health in the workplace, the benefits of solving them and learn how train Mental Health First Aiders.