Become a pro-active first aider, and find out why we do things, not just what we do.
These courses are for those going to remote places overseas who want a little bit more first aid knowledge and some drug awareness. A course designed to give you more options when days away from help, rather than hours. Suitable for expeditions on foot or by vehicle, this course is both practical and theoretical.
This course can benefit anyone who is experienced at first aid, and wants to take their knowledge and understanding to the next level.
- Mountain Bikers Leaders (BC, CTC)
- Mountain Leaders / Climbers and Instructors (MLA)
- Ski Instructors (BASI)
- Paddlesports coaches and instructors (BCU/SCA)
- Sailors (RYA)
- Remote First Aid
- Wilderness First Aid
- Duke of Edinburgh Assessors and Supervisors
- Field Studies Tutors
- Expedition Leaders
It is assumed that you have recently passed, a suitable 2 Day Outdoor First Aid course (within the last 12 months) if you joining the 3rd day of the Advanced Expedition First Aid course.
Alternatively, we run these as a 3 day course if your current Outdoor First Aid qualification is out of date or was completed more than 12 months ago, or you would like an entirely bespoke course for your specific situation.
First Aid Training Co-operative exceed the HSE Employers' Due Diligence requirements for first aid training providers.
We have ISO9001 Certification and are also members of the Federation of First Aid Training Organisations.
You can rely on our quality assured systems for the correct accreditation of your course.
Course Content List
Standard Outdoor First Aid Course Content:
- Contents of a first aid kit
- Accident reporting
- Vital signs
- A systematic approach to managing first aid incidents - ABCDE
- Casualty Monitoring and casualty protection
- Airway Management
- Recovery Positions
- Breathing Problems - cardiac arrest CPR inc AED use, drowning/child CPR,
- Heart attack, Angina, and other medical emergencies
- Choking (adult and child)
- Circulation Problems and treatment for shock
- Crush Injury and catastrophic blood loss if appropriate to the group
- Damage – treatment of injuries to the: chest, abdomen, pelvis, leg & arm, including remote improvised techniques
- Soft tissue injuries
- Head and spinal injuries, and helmet removal techniques and spinal management
- Environmental Considerations – hypothermia, hyperthermia and cold injuries
- Environmental Illness : Weils disease, Lyme disease, Tick-borne Encephalitis, Animal bites and stings
- Awareness of current regulations
- Making emergency calls in different outdoor situations
- Outdoor Incident Scenarios
Advanced Expedition First Aid Course Content. This can be adapted depending on your expedition focus - altitude, desert, cold, or jungle:
- Remit of instruction / Medical indemnity / Medications Act / Confidentiality
- Record keeping and how to present yourself (perception of skill level)
- Casualty assessment / taking a history / physical examination
- Lecture on remote medical assistance & communication systems
- Wound assessment,
- Burns and blisters
- Trauma - dealing with fractures (femur splinting) and dislocations in the field
- Wound cleaning practical
- Steri-strips & suturing
- Use of tourniquets
- Pain management
- Hygiene and Gastrointestinal problems
- Hydration / fluid replacement
- Prevention of illness
- Tropical diseases (Mosquitos, worms, flies, etc)
Advanced Expedition First Aid, 3 Days, 24 Hours. For those who require more in-depth first aid knowledge, usually because they are preparing for a trip to a remote overseas location.
We don’t currently have any public courses of this type scheduled. Please contact us to enquire about private course availability.
Can't find the right course for you?
We offer a wide range of courses across the UK. To see our full course listings, click here. Questions? Need something more bespoke or at your venue? Browse our private course listings below:
Enquire about booking a Private First Aid Course
We can run Private First Aid Courses at any suitable venue, for groups of up to 12 participants per trainer. Private courses can be tailored to almost any situation or context that your organisation or group requires.
Please complete the form linked below to let us know a bit about your requirements, and we'll be in touch as soon as we can. Alternatively, call the office and talk to one of us to discuss your situation and how we can help deliver the best course for you.
03334 330731 - Freecall from any mobile or landline
07585 723763 - Mobile